Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Movie Review: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The cover said something like "A smart, sexy comedy!" Be not fooled: there is nothing sexy or funny about this film, and if it's smart, then I must be stupid. Of course, what could I expect from the people who brought us that wacked-out piece-of-junk movie Lost in Translation?

Eternal Sunshine is a story of two people who meet, become a couple, move in together, their relationship goes sour, and they each end up having the memory of the other erased. During the erasing procedure the male lead (played by Jim Carrey) realizes that he does not want to lose what he had with his girlfriend, and somehow the two of them manage to get back together on the other side of their brain damage.

The movie is confusing, depressing, ugly, boring, and fails to make us care about the characters. Jim Carrey already proved that he could play a serious role in The Truman Show. This time he not only takes on a serious role, but shows us how beat he can look. Kate Winslet, the lovely lead in Titanic, joins him in looking like crap.

If you've never taken drugs and want to have the experience of a bad trip, this movie might be the ticket for you. (I've never taken drugs either....just guessing) If you want a smart, sexy, comedy, look elsewhere.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I thought Eternal Sunshine was one of the best movies I have seen in a while...I thought it was quirky and strange and yes, brilliant.

And the creators of Eternal weren't the ones who brought Lost in Translation, that was Sofia Coppola on all angles...but they were the ones who brought us Being John Malkovich and Adaption.

Dollymama said...

Well, I guess you were one of the people that gave Eternal Sunshine 4 and 5 stars over at Netflix. :) Different strokes, you know! Glad that somebody appreciated it, because it would be hard for me to overstate how much my husband and I detested it.

I was referring to Focus Features, which is the studio (?) that links up movies like Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation. I guess it's a place for the movies I love to hate. :) Looked like a lot of weird ones come from them, although I watched and didn't hate Ned Kelly, and will definitely see Vanity Fair, both of which are also from FF.

Unknown said...

IF YOU HAD SAID YOU WANTED A COMEDY, I WOULD HAVE CLEARLY SAID NO!!! just fyi. sq