Saturday, October 02, 2004

Summary Du Jour

Since I know all of you are waiting up late, just aching for closure here, You Got It!

Sure enough, the kids got home from the Bible quiz thing saying that they hated it, it was terrible, and they never want to go again. I think they were feeling pretty invested in that opinion, so the thing probably didn't get a fair shake. But, hey--a deal's a deal. They don't have to go any more if they don't wanna.

We did go to the family dance and I got to find out that I am not the only person in the world who has poor turnout for events. These poor people! They come up with the idea to do a benefit for the police dept., publicize it, plan it, and put it all together.......and there were 11 people there aside from the 8 in our family. Yowee, that hurts. It looked so pitiful from the street that we almost decided not to go in, but then I remembered the door prizes and told the kids we had excellent chances of winning loot, so in we went.

It's a little hard to get into dancing when there are something like 5 craggy old folks dully observing the dance floor, and then me and the hubby and the various kids. Oh yeah. Eventually we all cut loose and pretended that we were in our own living room with the shades down, which is where we get into a lot of fabulous dance parties around here. :) Our oldest son, Sullen, is 12 and he went to this thing thinking it would be somewhat cool, like the school dances. Needless to say, this was not nearly as cool as he had hoped. At one point he showed me two quarters that he was doing tricks with between his fingers and said, "If it wasn't for these too quarters, I'd be bored out of my mind." Things got significantly better when the people running the show decided to make all the cookies and drinks FREE. Don't have to tell us twice! The kids ran right over and started sampling the goods, of course.

We cleaned up with the door prizes, all right. We got quite a few gift certificates to eat out at various places, some junk that I don't know what I'm going to do with (like a plaque that says something like, "You may be my stepmother, but you'll always be mom to me." Kind of hard to regift that one, eh?), and a 2 week membership to a women's only work out place. Hmmmm....I wonder if I can lose all the weight I need to drop in the two free weeks....? What I was really hoping to win was a night at the Holiday Inn but we left before they picked the winner, so I'm hoping they'll call me tomorrow to say I got it. I think after taking 6 kids to that thing the least they can do is give me a night away. ;) Right?

Seriously, though, I was pretty appauled that there was NOBODY from the police dept. that even showed up! NOBODY! What is WRONG with people? I like to think that if they did something like that for the fire dept. that the guys who weren't working would be there with their families, and that relatives and friends would have come too. Actually, the guys on duty would show up also, even if they couldn't stay for long.

Well, all the little sweeties are asleep now and I am about to join them. Ready for beddy, I always say....

No comments: