Saturday, July 26, 2008

Families Serving Together

After my recent post about our bad day at the food pantry, I discovered a great blog that features ideas for service opportunities for families. It's called The Family Quilt and it's really neat. Please go take a gander. Lots of good ideas there!

In late breaking news, I found out about another opportunity that might be a good one for my kids. Our local schools have a program to help children that might not have enough food on the weekends. (which is enough to make me cry right there) They have backpacks for each child in the program, and on Thursdays they fill them with foods that would be easy for the children to eat without cooking.

Sadly, there are many children in our school district that need this service. It breaks my heart.

While I can't change all of those situations, I might just be able to bring five kids in to their old school to help fill those backpacks once a week. The good thing about this job would be that the work starts when we get there, and when the bags are full, we'd be done and could go home.

Plus, if we're already at school, it's a good opportunity to pick up a couple of their friends to bring back home to play for awhile. I know that would be a big hit.

I don't want to get overloaded with stuff, so for right now I'm just going to focus on getting our work at the food pantry into a good rhythm and see how I do once August comes and I have to do it without the oversight of the director. If that seems to work well, we'll see if we can add something else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Something inside me has been making me think about these things a lot more lately. I am appalled about the excess that I have in the face of the poverty in the world around me. You go girl!