Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Born Into Brothels-movie review

I watched the documentary Born Into Brothels eariler this week. This film follows a photographer that lives in the Red Light district of Caluctta, India, and gets to know the families there--including the many children. She begins to teach the children photography, and then we get to see their lives through their own eyes.

Seeing how these children and their families live is one of those eye-opening experiences. I don't know how many times I found myself with my hand clasped over my mouth saying, "Oh. My. Goodness."

Generations of families are stuck in a life of crime, drug use, prostitution. Their children have all the charm, sweetness, intelligence, and wishes of children anywhere....except their realize what their life is going to become. I heard 10 year old girls talk about how the older women would ask her, "When are you going to join the line?" (meaning, start working prostitution for a living) The little girl's response? "I guess it won't be long now......"

It's a moving film, with some tragedy and inspiration both included. Worth watching.

No comments: