Monday, April 16, 2007

So now we know that when business gets busy, Dollymama readers get ignored. Sorry, folks! I can't do it all.

I've been meaning to put my two cents worth in on a movie our family watched. Like a lot of other families, we were looking forward to the DVD release of Happy Feet. I'm going to be a fuddy duddy and say that I do not consider Happy Feet to be good family-friendly entertainment. Waaaaaay too many references about sex. We will not watch it again.

Last night we watched Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" which explains the problem of global warming. I think that for a lot of people who may have been brought up without much consciousness about environmental issues (like me), this movie is an important one. It is interesting and explains how global warming happens and what the results are in our world today and what can happen to our world in the future if we don't make a change.

I was disappointed that there wasn't any practical information given on what we can do as individuals to make a difference. Fortunately, there is a web site that tells some very simple, basic things we can all do. The information can be found here.

The only thing I thought was kind of ridiculous about the film was it's political jabs. Yes, I'm sure that the current administration could have done more to help curb the problem, but a president doesn't have the luxury of focusing on one pet project all the time like Al Gore does. If he had left politics out of it I would have appreciated it. I think it dilutes his message.

I've been reading soem good books lately:

Unto The Least of These by Nathan Shaw is an excellent book about the need for Christians to care for widows and the fatherless. One of the things I most appreciated about this book was information about Bible times and history that confirmed my belief that divorced people qualify as widows and the fatherless as well. I borrowed this book from a gal at church whose husband abandoned her and their three children, mainly so that I could understand and empathize with them better. Now that I am reading it, though, I see that we are surrounded today by widows and orphans that desperately need healing and God's love (and God's love ministered to them by God's people!). I am also thinking this through from the perspective of someone considering adopting children that are fatherless. Really, our society is full of people who have these wounds, so I think it makes sense for as many compassionate people as possible to become more understanding of how to best help them. Read this book!

I am also enjoying a re-read of Anna Quindlen's Loud and Clear, which is a collection of her essays. I just love the way she makes me think a little (or a lot) harder about subjects I had already made up my mind about.

I have accepted a gig as columnist over at sahm.com in the Moms of Many category. You can go see my name in lights there if it gives you a thrill. :)

Today I went to work out for the first time in about a month. Between spring break, kids and me being sick, and just being too darn lazy to get over there, the weeks had flown by. BY know what? I lost 3 lbs. while I was away, so I guess my eating is helping anyhow. We're going to a family wedding in June so I'd like to drop off a some more weight between now and then. Must. Keep. Working. Out. and. Eating. Less!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about Happy Feet. I went to the movies with the kids and it made me cringe and it went to long.
www.everyhomeachurch.blog.co.uk

Dru said...

Wow. 6 kids and considering adopting more - you will definitely have a full quiver, and a blessed one at that! Of course you have one already, but the heart expands. :)

Now that you've read that book I'm willing to bet that you'll be noticing fatherless children a lot more often. Once you know, they stick out like sore thumbs, the poor little things.

Our first Cub Scout pack had only two boys in it whose fathers were involved in their lives - my son and the cubmaster's son. It was shocking. That pack has since dissolved and we moved to another one, and it's amazing how many fatherless children there are in this much larger pack. They idolize *any* adult male and you can almost see the gaping hole in their hearts. It's so sad. What's worse is when the mother gets so run-down (from trying to do/be it all) that she just stops bringing the son; then he's missing out on good adult male role models and interaction there at the pack - who knows what he'll fill that with? I just hope that these little guys have strong male relatives and neighbors involved in their lives, but I honestly don't think they do based on their physical, emotional, and mental states/responses while they were with us.