Saturday, April 21, 2007

Now Running The Mothering Triathlon: DOLLYMAMA!!!!

I have been running a triathlon here. My husband is away at work so I'm flying solo with the kids. Let's see what I'm made of, shall we?

First round: Drop oldest kid off at school at 6:30 pm for band concert. Return home to pick up 5 siblings and take back to concert. Find seating for 6 in crowded gymnasium bleachers. Sit through concert and small children asking in stage whispers,"Is it over yet??" after every song. Grand finale: Make a hasty exit with the entire group when the 5 year old declares, "I have to go POTTY!"

Second round: 12:45am. Wake up and enjoy a little game of My Kid Puked In My Bed (and on the carpet, and on the bathroom floor, and on me.....). Start the laundry brigade. Strip the bedding off the bed. Clean the carpet (if possible). Clean self. Clean kid. Go back to bed and try to sleep while feeling very, very paranoid that at any moment you will be showered with vomit again.

Third round: Who cares if it's Saturday? Get up at 6:10am in order to drive your kid to the drop off point for his band trip to an amusement park. Rotate pukie laundry. Notice that three other kids are already up. You might as well make some breakfast for them and plan to stay up now that you're already out of bed.

(Hopefully this is going to be the last of the thrills and chills for today. But what are the chances of that??)

No comments: