Thursday, February 22, 2007

Earning My Good Mommy Badge

Today I did something I don't usually do--I went on a school field trip.

In the several years that I've had my kids in school I haven't attended very many field trips. Most years I had a nursing baby or toddler (or several toddlers) that I would have had to take along, so that never made traipsing around with 40 preschoolers at a pumpkin patch very appealing.

This time my son's class was headed to the children's museum. My initial reaction was not to go. After all, I would get an entire day at home to myself (the field trips take all day, whereas a regular day of preschool is half day), I am behind on my business work, and there is a load of housework needing to be done as well. AND my taxes aren't ready to be done yet, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

But then he came home and said so sweetly, "Would you like to come on my field trip with me, Mom?" and I knew that I had to get my priorities in order. What's the point of running my own business from home if I can't take a day off to spend it with my kiddo?

I didn't love being sandwiched into that bus seat (which does not give a normal sized adult enough space to sit facing forward without having to crunch your knees up by your face) but I enjoyed doing something with him alone, and I was glad to share the experience with him. when I had just one and two children we went to this museum several times a year....this was probably the first time my youngest ever got to go. Ah, the way stages of life change things!

I realized that almost every parent goes on these field trips, and while in the past I figured it was kind of unimportant for one. more. parent. to attend, I realize now that I am not thrilled at the idea of my kids being the only ones without a parent to show up. I don't feel bad about not going in the past--it was really beyond me. But, now it's not, so a field trip chaperone I shall be, I guess. Now if I can only get my new iPod Shuffle working (can't make it play music?! I have no idea what to do about it...) and a good book to read, it will make the rides more bearable.

No comments: