Sunday, July 31, 2005

Poetry inspiration for moms (and dads)

I was just over at SolarGrinFricke, a cool blog that's new to my blogroll, and saw a sweet poem for mothers that I wanted to draw your attention to. That reminded me of one of my favorites, that I have framed and hanging outside my bedroom door where I see it all the time. I am actually thinking of painting it on the wall so that it's easier to see. My aunt gave me this poem as a gift after my second child was born. I have it memorized and have even made a song of it that I sing to encourage myself from time to time. Don't worry, I won't audioblog and sing for you (well, actually, with some persuasion, I might), but here are the words:

Parent's Prayer

Lord, thank you for my children
A fruitful gift from Thee!
A heritage eternal
Oh, Father, let me see
Beyond those little faces
And many, varied needs
There lies a soul eternal
To cultivate and feed.

Sometimes I get so busy
With petty, earthly cares.
I shun divine appointments
And don't take time to share,
To love and to disciple
To teach them of your Word
That they may grow to love You
And trust in You as Lord.

Please keep my ever mindful
That the footsteps following me
As I walk faithful to You
May one day follow Thee!
Lord, thank You for my children
May I Thy glory raise!
And as they grow to serve You
To You, Lord, is the praise.

Amen

(author Patty Fischer)

No comments: