Friday, August 12, 2005

Puttin' My Money Where My Mouth Is

For those of you who have been visiting here at DollyMama for awhile, you probably remember that I also have a small business, Supermom's No-Lice Advice. I educate parents, teachers, and childcare providers about how to prevent and eliminate head lice in a safe, non-toxic way. I also sell two tools for getting rid of lice, plus an herbal head spray that I created that is a natural lice repellant.

For awhile now I have been wishing I had some way to test my repellant spray out, but nothing had presented itself...until now.

Our DEAR DEAR friends who we haven't seen in 7 months and who were planning to come stay with us for the weekend in order to visit and to attend our son's torture, oops, I mean Birthday Party, have now discovered the dismal news that their kids have lice. (insert primal scream of mothers everywhere) She call yesterday to tell me the news and to meekly say, "So.....can we still come?" to which I immediately and bravely said, "Let me think about it." :)

As I thought about it I realized, What better way to harvest some live lice for my spray experiments? Plus, I can prove how great my system really is. (or isn't) I encouraged her to go buy a RobiComb (see! See? Here is her first mistake. She DID NOT DO WHAT SUPERMOM TOLD HER TO AND START DOING ROBI COMB-THROUGHS AND HEAD CHECKS WEEKLY! She wanted to believe that head lice would never happen to them. So, "heads up" people: Wishful thinking does not prevent head lice! Never has, never will.) and get combing to get the worst of it over with. Unfortunately, she called me today to say she has called every place she can think of and nobody sells RobiComb in her area.

Worse yet, she found more live lice. And not just one or two, as is usually the case. (kind of like mice in the house. You want to *think* that one is all you have, but it's almost never true)

Even worse that THAT is the fact that she has one kid, the one with Thick, Long Hair, that she has not even gone through yet. Anybody want to lay your money down on bets for how this is going to turn out??

So, what's a Supermom to say? I said, Hey, don't stress. Bring your lousey kids on down here and we will Robi Comb them together. We'll get through it. It'll be ok.

Do I get some sort of Great Friend Award? Or a Purple Heart for bravery? Nah.... It's going to be ok.

My plan is that we will Robi Comb her kids as soon as they get here. We can do it outside to minimize the chance of anything live dropping off and scurrying around the house. Once we do that plus go through with the egg comb, we should be in pretty good condition, other than how itchy and gross we will feel, and the tears she will probably shed since it's just so stressful for moms to have their kids have lice! We'll Robi again in the evening for a good time, and once more on Sunday morning and evening before they go. We should have the whole thing well in hand before the weekend is out. An additional blessing is that any potential lice on the run at her house will die off while they are away, so she won't have to stress about vacuuming so much!

I will Robi my kids before our friends come, just to make sure I know they are all clear. I will wash their hair in tea tree shampoo and liberally spray my No-Lice Hair Spray forcefield on them. And on Sunday night or Monday I will Robi again to see if they have made any new friends on their heads. Even if they do, it won't have had time to get bad, so it shouldn't be a big deal to fix. But, with the hair spray, there is a good chance that they won't have been appealing to any lice at all.

Other than that, I would like to say that I am on day three of not nursing my son. It is going fine. He is still asking and still not happy when I say no, but it is getting easier. One funny thing is that by last night I really needed to pump to relieve some pressure so that I could sleep comfortably. I decided that rather than dumping the milk, I would offer it to the poor weanling. He's got a runny nose that could stand a little health food, and I thought he might be happy to have some milk. So I say to him,

DM: Hey Squiggy, come here. I've got something for ya.
SquiggyMagoo: OK. What?
DM: Want some of this? It's milk!
SM: (looking wary) Milk? What it taste like?
DM: It's milk! Mommy's milk! You like it.
SM: I like it? It's milk? hmmm... (looking warily at the milk, smelling it, and squinting at me to see if this is some sort of trick)
DM: Don't you want it? You like it! Try it.
SM: OK. (drinks it) (gags, coughs, sputters) I no like it.

I guess the previous charm was in the delivery??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Long, thick hair has been gone through and found to be clean, clean, clean. Whew!

Dollymama said...

Carmen--I told you already! Move down here so you can start your kids in school Aug. 4, and move back to your house before May so you can keep 'em in school til the end of June. Real estate is not too bad around here. Maybe your husband would love a second home in the Bluegrass State...??

Just think of the cool cootie fun we could have together!!

Dollymama said...

DazeyMae:
He hasn't mentioned the party lately because he was distracted by something else I did to torture him. :) So, that was a blessing!

I tell him all the time that his parents aren't perfect, and he's the oldest so he's the guinea pig. We'll make mistakes for sure, but all of it is coming from a place of trying to do the best we can for him because we love him. He always looks a little afraid of what mistakes in the name of love might come upon him..... (snicker)